Saturday, November 28, 2009

'85 World Championships - Old stories

Thinking back to my first World Footbag Championships (of 20 in a row). I have to take us back to the summer of '85, when I met Jay Moldenhauer and Greg Nelson for the first time. We were all attending a tournament in Athens, MI that included appearances by Andy Linder and Pat Bieber! Back then I was still using leather 2-panel hacky-sacks, and mine got wet on Saturday. We have come a long way! That finals day , I won a 'soc sac' signed by boy wonder Pat Bieber.

Jay Moldenhauer wanted to go to World Championships, and had to go thru Chicago to get there. I am so glad he approached me to ask if I could drive with him. He'll pick me up and go from there. I really wanted to go, but I was pretty sure my parents would shoot the idea down. When I got home from that tourney, I eagerly asked their permission (and funding)... And by allowing me to go, and encouraging me to pursue the sport I was so passionate about, I had officially started down the path that now lies behind me. I have no regrets about the path I took, and I can't wait to experience what lies ahead!

Shred Notes: 11/28/09
Gyro barfly is still challenging. Hit both, but not on tape and not for lack of trying. What does rippin call that pendulum style bag transfer.


-enlightener

No comments:

Post a Comment