Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thanks to Andy Linder!

I wonder if I was somehow fated to play Footbag. I sure was lucky to have circumstances work out how they did!

I had been casually playing Footbag with my friends in Oak Park. One day we went in front of Matt Fickenschers house to play, and less than a block north of us was a guy who was kicking right there. And kicking... And kicking, and he never dropped. We watched from afar and dreamed of having skills like that.

A few days after that we were playing in that same spot and a guy came up and joined us in the circle. I can't remember his name, but he taught me my first trick, the lap catch. He also confirmed that his friend is the one and only Andy Linder, the current world freestyle champion and world record holder for most kicks in a row.

Shortly after that, still in 1984, I was shown a news blurb announcing an Footbag tourney of College Unions at IIT. I'm so grateful that I went there, as it set the course for my Footbag career. I met Andy Linder, Brent Welch, Lom Quang, Bruce Guettich and Greg Cortopassi there. I also met Jay Claffey and PJ Lareau who taught me my first toe delay.

About 16 years later, I won the World Championships Freestyle title. And ten more years later I am still playing at a high level. And at this writing I have played over 1050 days in a row.

Thanks to Andy Linder for inspiration, to all my friends who encourage me, and to my family who not only tolerate me, but are my biggest fans! THANKS!

Shred Notes from this past Sunday and Monday, 10/8 and 10/9/09: got to play with Valeria at rehm tennis facility outdoors. Nothing groundbreaking, just good solid jams with long strings. Valeria showed progress on clipper rainbows.

I love this sport!

- enlightener

No comments:

Post a Comment