Monday, April 12, 2010

The 'trick' to Pixie sets - Little tweaks reap huge benefits!

This week was a mixed bag of shredding in dusty hallways, and outdoors in windy and chilly air. I worked mostly on my routine, and having some great runs. I figure that until worlds, I'll be mostly working on my routine during the week, and skooling new tricks and flipside stuff on weekends.

I was in my living room doing my Sunday jam and decided to just do front-side tricks. I usually use a mix of clippers and toes to get warm, probably mostly clipper related moves. On Sunday though, I just worked frontside. During this session, it must be noted, took a little longer than usual to get sufficiently sweaty. While self-criticizing my right toe pixie set I realized that the reason I struggle with left pixie sets is the direction that my knee is pointing as I go into the setting motion.

Just about every trick requires mentally separating the concepts of 'set' and 'dex.' In other words, once you get the set out of the way, then it is time to do the dex and whether they require a spin before the dex, or immediate dexterity... they need to be thought of separately. The 'trick' to Pixie sets is that during the set part of the trick is to point your knee across your body as you perform the lifting motion. Simple.

Shred notes: 4/11/10
Plenty of training, nothing really noteworthy. Except mentioned above.

No comments:

Post a Comment