Sunday, April 18, 2010

The 50 degree threshold

My guideline for determining whether I should shred indoors or out, the temperature threshold is officially 50 degrees. If it is under 50 degrees fahrenheit, then I struggle to get warm. If it is right at 50 degrees and breezy, I reserve the right to go indoors, but for the most part anything over 50 degrees is good to play.

The temps this week have been crazy. 80 one day, 40 the next. My playtime happens usually pretty early, around 10 or 11am. Even on a nice spring day, it doesn't get really nice until later in the afternoon. I have had a few sweet 70 degree days lately with no wind and had some great sessions! I have also made some questionable judgement calls... in each case it was right at 50 degrees and breezy, but I had my Xootr (http://www.myxootr.blogspot.com is my new blog) with me and I felt it would be a waste to have brought it all the way to skool (work), and not use it during recess (lunch). In all cases, it took a bit longer to get warm and was uncomfortably chilly at first, but I got sufficiently sweaty and hit enough strings and pretty good runs through my routine for worlds. On Saturday, I went to the double-secret indoor location, as I just didn't feel like fighting the chilly wind and just-barely 50 degree temps.

I have played in so many different temperatures, I have come to the conclusion that 50 degrees is the magic number. If it is over 50 and not windy, I can shred outdoors no problem, under 50 and there better be a good reason I went outside. Some of these reasons might be that there were no other indoor options, a guest was in from out of town and we wanted to kick at a public location with pedestrian traffic or an outdoor tournament. Otherwise, for training purposes, I'll be indoors until it gets up over 50 degrees. My next big concern is sun exposure...

See ya!
-enlightener

No comments:

Post a Comment