Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dusty halls, with a shiny spot in the middle....

While there is construction going on in my place of daily shred, I suffer in silent hopelessness as I watch the floor gather layer upon layer of plaster dust.

As I get started, I pour a little water on the floor off to the side and I get the bottoms of my shoes wet. My feet seem to be stickier when their bottoms are damp, but not dripping wet, which could be dangerous. Being damp they tend to stick better, especially important when spinning, which I do a lot of.

Over the years, I've had to play on just about every possible surface, and polished are among the worst. If there is any way to use a sacrifice towel to clear the floor, I'll do it. But often instead of cleaning the whole floor, I'll use my towel as a damp rag on the floor that we can get our feet wet with. On a daily basis, I typically just put water on the ground, to save on laundry which I already produce lots of. At tournaments, if not already done by the tourney director, I'll coordinate a pass over the playing area with a wet towel over a broom. I remember in Vancouver 2000, the floor was slippery and I had to use a wet rag on the ground to help. I think I took 2nd that year, another of my many 2nd places at worlds, more than anyone else.

In my double secret dojang, looking from one end of the hall to another, there is a clean spot due to my 'sole grease' every day. The construction workers probably don't even notice it, but it messes with the air quality and sure makes it slippery. I hope to be outdoors for so many reasons, air quality and floor grip are just two of those reasons.

See ya!
-enlightener

No comments:

Post a Comment