Saturday, January 23, 2010

Innovation is a natural process!

I love when innovation just happens. Those moments are priceless!
Today, I hit Pixie op Symposium Twirl. (and yes, on tape).. I have hit the fairy version going to its 'same' side, and I have been skooling twirls and fairy/pixie moves on a regular basis. Then there it was. I just thought, what if... and there it was. I wasn't looking to do a new trick, I was just exploring the tricks I knew and then melded them together.

Moments like this only happen because of extensive training of components (see previous posts about the importance of 'Components' in freestyle) and through the slow expansion of your game over many tries. I say slow, because for me it is a pretty deliberate process that is similar in how I train. At some point though, the proverbial peanut butter gets into the chocolate and a new trick is born.

I love when that happens. And sure, not always is it an entirely new trick, usually someone else has hit it. But sometimes it is truly unique and that is always a good feeling! However some of these tricks are just incremental add-ons to existing tricks, it is always exciting to hit one. Ultimately, while a handful of other people may have hit that trick, it is great to know I am one of the few. I also love it that I continue to innovate after all these years!


Shred notes: 1/23/10
So close to Quantum. So close. Gonna watch the video ToTT2 in slo-mo tonight to figure out what I'm missing.

1 comment: