Sunday, January 10, 2010

Doubles Footbag Freestyle is harder to train for...

I was thinking back over the years. I have played my share of doubles freestyle, and I think it is a harder event to train for than singles. Doubles Footbag Freestyle Routines are longer than singles, and there is no room for error at any point through it. In singles, if I have to take a detour, it is between me and the footbag. In doubles, if something unintended happens, both of us have to react in unison and no matter how hard I train, I always fear an unforced error that causes confusion.

Doubles routines are mapped out more intricately, literally trick-by-trick. Singles routines are a bit more flexible in structure. Honestly, I train singles routines with the goal of a consistent end-product. The reality is that somewhere through a 2 minute performance will be an error, but getting back on track is something I can train for. My game-plan in singles is to keep moving forward, get back on track with the intended performance in cadence with the music. In doubles, this is so much harder to do. Getting on track without looking like motley fools.

I can play singles alone, but a good partner needs to live in the same general proximity as me, which has generally meant that my doubles pairings are cyclical based on the players that are strong on the scene at the time.

I can play singles any time I want, but to play doubles requires first having a nearby strong player willing to train, and juggling two schedules to make that happen.

Over the years, I have played doubles freestyle with many players you might recognize... Andy Linder, Kenny Shults, Keaton Halley, Steve Smith and Valeria Davidson. Forgive me if I forgot anyone, it has been many years.

This year I plan to pair up with Valeria for Mixed Doubles Freestyle at Worlds (if it is in the US this year, you can count on us being there.). What a better partner than my own wife, and with that, all the above criteria come together. I'll keep you posted on that.

See ya!
-Enlightener

No comments:

Post a Comment