Monday, February 22, 2010

New Lavers need tough love to break in...

(Note: New trick... Zulu Soliosis) I usually break in my new Lavers over a 3 month period, but this time I waited too long to start breaking them in and I need to accelerate the process. When I wait too long, my current shred shoes are in complete disarray. The soles are worn thru, they have cracks in the sole and they have worn out somewhat unevenly, which is very noticable as I switch from new to old Lavers. Anyway, I wore them to work, except they have slate floors at work and they are as smooth as a baby's ass and provide no friction whatsoever. My double secret hallway locations are polished concrete, arguably the only flooring surface smoother than Italian slate... and to make matters worse, there is dust on the polished concrete surface. Aargh!

So yesterday I also wore them outside on the concrete. I did my 2nd jam out on a rough brick patio called Riverwalk in Naperville. I should have brought gloves, because if my hands were warm I could have lasted more than 45 minutes for sure. The ground was gritty and I could feel the shine wearing off of the bottom of my shoes. What I didn't calculate correctly was the impending snow storm. The weather guy was right about the start time, 4:00 but it ended up to be only 5 inches, not 10. I invited Valeria and Alex to lunch, and when we got done eating my shiny new shoes met snow and slush for the first time. My jeans got wet and transferred plenty of grit to the shoes. They are no longer shiny and new, but they are one day closer to being shred-ready. I know Lon Smith says to sand them down with a belt-sander, but I'm not that capable with tools, I'll use the old fashioned way, and break them in myself!

For my 2nd jam today, I'm going to rough up the new lavers again at the same brickwork area in Riverwalk with fliers and scuffing exercises. I don't care if it is snowing, I'll play under the overhang.

Shred notes: 2/22/2010 and 2/23/2010
On the 22nd, I was back at my double secret shred location in Oakbrook. Filmed Splendor, with mixed results. Skooled all kinds of unusual surface content, focusing on Soliosis, spinning soliosis and of course Splendor (Sblender is really a blender ending in X-body sole, still not sure if I should spell it with a P or a B.)

On the 23rd, I had to shred early AM as there is no where to shred in the wintertime without being in the cold in Naperville, short of joining a club. 50 degrees is my realistic threshold, as above that I can do shorts and t-shirt, below that I really need to be indoors. My morning shred wasn't really productive, except to say that I did hit a new trick today! Zulu Soliosis. Really makes the body look funny, but satisfying anyway!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment