Saturday, June 26, 2010

Videotaping tips for footbag freestyle... and footbag net

I have had a videocamera since 1988, thanks to being inspired by Jay Moldenhauer, Greg Nelson, then later Steve Kremer and Josh Casey... also Dennis Jones.  I was at the beginning of my footbag career and I saw how Jay was videotaping the finals of events and the sideline shredding as well.  They were using it as an effective learning tool and accelerating their footbag game exponentially.  It was amazing.  I purchased the exact same camera that Jay had, it was a sony hi-8 camera (and I have TONS of footage to convert from the old days, just not enough room to store it, time to do it, or money to buy the thingy that converts it to digital) that served me well for many years.  I never get credited with this, but I MADE THE FIRST SHRED VIDEO EVER!  I put together the best footage I had of routines and side-shreds and made about fifty copies onto videotapes and I gave them away for free with labels on them that encouraged the recipients to make more copies and give them to their friends.  No copyrights, free distribution.  I was spreading the word.  I still am.

Videotaping has evolved since those days, youtube has made free distribution into a fun pastime.  Footbag has gotten more complicated, even faster action and still uses a very small ball that is sometimes hard to see.  Here are some tips for making videos of footbag:
1. Get a good camera.  HD quality and a wide angle lens is helpful.  See comparison of footage between a point and shoot and my new Smartest Phone from a built-in HD video camera (starts with an "i") below, just released into the wild 2 days ago.
2. Pay attention to lighting.  When shooting outdoors in direct sunlight, try to keep the sun behind you.  It is better to film on a cloudy day than in direct sunlight because the diffused light that the clouds let through is more evenly distributed across your subjects.  If you are shooting indoors there can be many shadows depending on your lighting style.  In a conference room, the fluorescent lights provide a good diffused light experience, but sometimes causes a kind of harmonic resonance when the frame rate of the camera exactly matches the flashing-cycle rates of the fluorescent lights, plus for reasons of cleanliness, conference rooms tend to have very busy patterns in the carpeting which make it bad for playing and filming.  In a garage, you are going to need lights coming from as many angles as possible to reduce the shadowing, but it can get pretty bad if you only have a few lights.  If you have a shadowing problem indoors, try to stay with your back to the best light.
3. Learn to stabilize your shots, limit movement if you don't have a self-stabilizing camera or use a tripod.
4. Get the right angle for the right shot.  Best is a straight on shot from just below hip level with the sun behind you, or good ambient diffused light indoors.  I use a lot of upward angles because I don't have a tripod with me most of the time and I balance the camera on the ground.  Angles from above are a nice novelty, but really don't give a good idea of what is going on.
5. Don't shoot from too far away.  If you use the optical zoom to 'get closer', be aware it will amplify any movements you make, so if I had to use optical zoom, I would always recommend a tripod.
6. Turn OFF digital zoom, it is useless.  Seriously, turn it off!  Now!
7. When I am taping, I keep recording until I get something worth keeping, then I stop and restart the recording.  This makes reviewing the footage go MUCH faster because rather than reviewing every second of footage, I go to the end of each clip and trim away everything before it to save space and get rid of unusable footage ASAP.
8. When using a tripod, I find that the mini ones are easy to carry around, but are hard to set up to get the right angle, only because I have to pretty much lay on the ground to see what my image frame is capturing.  So for the mini tripods, I prefer to set them up on a pedestal to make it easy to check the frame field.  Ideally, a medium size tripod puts the camera at the right height to get a good shot and be easy to set-up.  I prefer to set my tripod at about 2 feet high.
9. If you are putting your camera on the ground to film, I suggest a slight upward angle.  On my Canon point-and-shoot camera, I use the hand strap under the front of the camera which props it up at the right angle so I don't see a lot of ground in front of my feet.  On my new Phone4, I had to rest it in my extra shirt to angle it back, but I could not see through the viewing side, I had to guess at what my camera was capturing, but it turned out to be useable.
10.  Get the right distance from the player.  All cameras are different.  Think about how you are going to use your footage.  If you are doing a static tripod shot, the closer you are to the players the less range the players have to move around in, and you risk losing good footage when players drift out of frame.  On the other hand, if you put it too far away, you lose the necessary detail and sometimes can't see the footbag because it is so small.
11.  Choose a solid backdrop when possible.  If you have trees, or random objects in the background, the viewers may not be able to see the footbag as it travels across the foreground.  So if you are videotaping, and you have any 'say' in the process of picking a location, try to find something as close to a solid color for your background.

Comparison of video camera footage for your review:
Canon Powershot SD630 (about 4 years old) with 640x480 frame size 24fps:


Video from my new phone camera which is HD 720p at 30fps (this popular camera phone was released on June 24, 2010):

(make sure to click on the HD version at bottom right) It seems that youtube knocks my videos down to half quality.  Not sure why.

Footbag Net match - Finals from last weekends Windy City Cup 2010 on old Canon camera:



For videotaping footbag net, you really need two cameras that are timestamped together. I would generally like to keep the camera from moving left to right, so a long shot from either end of the court would be great for most of the match, but use the camera that is along the net line to do close ups of the arial dog fights that are the 'meat' of the matches.


Shred notes: Week of June 25th, 2010
I have had a hangnail for the past week that is killing me.  Hurts like hell every time I step down on my right foot, but it hasn't stopped me from shredding every day.  It seems to be getting worse, which means that on Monday if it hasn't gotten better, I'll be going to the doctor, which are words rarely uttered from my mouth.  Either way, we have a Kick for Health youth outreach today and tomorrow at Taste of Chicago from 4-6 and plenty of time to shred then.  Been skooling routines a lot.  Jay Claffey and his daughter came by the other day to visit me during my lunch shred, that was awesome too.

No comments:

Post a Comment